Definition of terms
Bicycle: the bike and/or any other item that is comprised by the contract
Customer: the natural person or legal entity purchasing the bike rental service from YourCityBike
YourCityBike: the company offering the bike rental and bike tour services according to these terms and conditions
Rider: the person actually riding the bicycle
Written: in writing or electronically
Article 1: applicability
These general terms and conditions apply to all contracts between YourCityBike and customers for bike rental, including accessories like helmets and child seats.
Article 2: offer and agreement
- According to the wishes of the customer, YourCityBike makes a written or oral offer. The offer contains (where applicable) the name of the service (bike rental), rental period, and price. Furthermore, it states the opening hours and telephone number of the company, the manner of payment, and the type of deposit.
2. The contract is established when the customer accepts an offer from YourCityBike.
3. YourCityBike will retain ownership of rented bikes and accessories at all times.
Article 3: price and duration
- The customer is not allowed to return a rented bicycle after the date and time stated in the contract. Bikes must be returned to the same branch and during the business hours of YourCityBike (low season: 9.00am-18.00pm, high season 09:00am-21.00pm, always 7 days a week, for more information please check on yourcitybike.com).
- One day is considered to be 24 hours.
3. YourCityBike is not obliged to give any refund for rented bikes that are returned before the end of the contractual period.
Article 4: cancellations
- When customer cancels a bike rental:
a. Up until 4 days before the tour or start of the bike rental, 0% of the price will be charged.
b. Between 4 and 1 day(s) in advance, 50% of the price will be charged.
c. 1 day or less in advance, 100% of the price will be charged.
- Regarding cancellations, noon (12.00pm, local Amsterdam time) on the day of the start of the bike rental will be taken as the countdown moment. For example, a cancellation on the 1st of the month at 12.05pm for a bike rental on the 2nd will be charged 100%; a cancellation at 11.55am on the 1st will be charged 50%.
- Cancellations outside of business hours can only be made via e-mail ([email protected]).
Article 5: payment and deposit
- Payment for the bike rental need to be done in advance.
- A deposit is needed for each bike. The deposit consists of:
a. A photocopy of a valid ID and €50 (to be paid in cash OR;
b. A valid ID, driver license, national ID card or passport up to four bikes.
- The deposit will be paid back in cash as soon as the bicycle is returned. In the event of damage for YourCityBike, the amount charged for the damage will be subtracted from the deposit or if paid by cash.
Article 6: obligations for the customer
- Customer must treat the bicycle well and in accordance with its actual purpose.
- Customer must return the bicycle to YourCityBike in its original condition. Any changes or additions by or on behalf of the customer must be undone.
- By renting a bicycle, the customer declares to be:
a. In good physical condition, i.e. not suffering from any medical diseases or complaints that influence their riding ability.
b. Able to properly ride a bicycle.
- YourCityBike reserves the right to judge the capacities and abilities of a customer or rider prior to the use of a bicycle.
- For bike rental, the customer must obey all traffic laws and instructions from YourCityBike staff.
- The customer/rider must behave as a good renter/rider, which means he:
a. Is not permitted to sublet or sublease the bicycle.
b. Is not permitted to give the bicycle to a person other than the rider.
c. Is not permitted to take the bicycle outside of The Netherlands.
d. Is not permitted to ride on a city bike with more than 2 persons.
e. Must ensure that the person who is contractually indicated as the rider is legally permitted, and physically and mentally fit enough to ride a bicycle.
f. Must secure loads on the bicycle with due care.
g. Is not permitted to continue using the bicycle if it’s damaged, when its use can lead to aggravation of the damage or affects traffic safety.
Article 7: additional instructions for the customer
- Each bike is equipped with two locks. Customers must never leave the bicycle unattended unless properly locked. YourCityBike staff will demonstrate correct use of the locks.
- At the start of the rental, the customer needs to check the bicycle and report any possible defects to YourCityBike staff. When the defect(s) cannot be repaired instantly, the customer is permitted to have a replacement bike. As soon as the customer leaves the YourCityBike shop, he accepts the condition of the bicycle.
- In case any problems with the bicycle occur in Amsterdam, the customer needs to visit our shop in Amsterdam (Kerkstraat 27-H). YourCityBike does not reimburse any repairs performed by other companies. When the damage occurs outside of Amsterdam, YourCityBike will only reimburse repairs performed by another company if:
a. The damage, kind of repair, and costs of the repair are discussed with, and approved by, YourCityBike by telephone (+31 6 46 81 48 77) AND;
b. The customer bought the assurance service as stated in article 10.
- In the event of injury to the customer and/or damage or loss of the bicycle, the customer is obligated to:
a. Inform YourCityBike as soon as possible (by visiting the shop or by telephone: +31 6 46 81 48 77).
b.Follow instructions from YourCityBike.
c. Provide all (requested) information and documents that relate to the event that caused the injury/damage.
d. Not leave the bicycle behind without properly securing it.
e. Report the event to the local police.
f. Submit a fully completed and signed claim form to YourCityBike as soon as possible.
Article 8: obligations for YourCityBike
- YourCityBike provides a bicycle with the statutory and agreed features and accessories, which is clean, well maintained and in a technically good condition.
- In case of damage to the bicycle prior to the rental, YourCityBike will make a report of the damage in the presence of the customer.
- YourCityBike will inspect the bicycle for any damage immediately after it is returned.
Article 9: customer's liability for damage
- The customer is liable for any damage to YourCityBike related to the bike rental unless the damage is caused by a violation of the obligations stated in article 8.
- The customer is liable for actions and omissions of the rider(s) and other users of the bicycle(s) comprised by the contract, even if they didn’t have the customer’s permission to use the bike.
- The customer must respect all rules and regulations. The customer uses the bicycle on his own responsibility. If customer infringes any Dutch rules or regulations, YourCityBike can by no means held liable.
- In the event of loss, theft, or damage of the bicycle, YourCityBike is entitled to charge a (maximum) compensation of:
€450 for a city bike and single speed bike.
For damaged parts of a city bike, single speed bike; saddle €18, lock €70, lights set €20, chain case €11, fork €34, luggage rack €17, bell €5, key for lock €15, gear changer €15, basket €13, stand €11, mudguard €11, entire back wheel €46, entire front wheel €38, tire damaged by skidding €20.
Accessories; helmet €25, chain lock €70, ring lock €20.
Prices for parts that are not mentioned are determined by the YourCityBike staff. The hourly rate for repairs is €30.
Article 10: assurance
- YourCityBike offers an assurance service, which assures customers less financial risks in case of damage to, or theft of, the bicycle.
- Assurance costs:
- 3 hours €1,95, 6 hours €2,45, 24 hours €2,95.
- The assurance service covers theft and all sorts of damage of the bicycle.
- An own-risk/deductible of €50 remains for the customer.
- The amount due in case of damage is based on the costs of repairing the bicycle as stated in article 9.4.
- In case of theft, the decreased financial risk only applies when the customer is able to hand over the keys of the bicycle to the YourCityBike staff.
- YourCityBike strongly recommends the assurance service.
Article 11: dissolution of the contract
YourCityBike is entitled to terminate the contract and seize the bicycle if:
a. The customer does not obey one or more of his obligations, unless the omission does not justify dissolution.
b. The customer dies, is put under guardianship, applies for moratorium, is declared bankrupt, or is in a legal debt management regime.
- If YourCityBike is entitled to seize the bicycle(s), customer must offer full cooperation.
- If the customer dies prior to the hire period, the contract is automatically dissolved.
- YourCityBike is not liable for any damage caused by dissolution of the contract.
Article 12: personal data
Personal data of the customer will be processed by YourCItyBike according to the Dutch Data Protection Act (‘Wet Bescherming Persoonsgegevens’). By processing these data YourCityBike can carry out the contract, provide customer and/or rider with the best service and make personalized offers. The customer can request inspection or correction of his personal data and file objections. Objections by the customer regarding the processing of data for direct mailing will be honored at all times.
Article 13: applicable law
The contract is governed by Dutch law.